Awards & Recognitions
- Stree was awarded the Best Produced Book in the Calcutta Book Fair, 1998, by the
West Bengal Printers Association for Legally Dispossessed (Stree 1998)
by Maitrayee Mukhopadhay.
- Mandira Sen of Stree was awarded the Distinguished Women Publishers Award, 1999,
by the Federation of Indian Publishers , New Delhi.
- The Pioneer listed five perennial books for the new millennium; among which were
Kancha Ilaiah's Why I Am Not a Hindu: A Sudra Critique of Hindutva Philosophy, Culture
and Political Economy (Samya 1996) along with Dr. B. R. Ambedkar's Annihilation
of Caste and three others.
- The late Kalyani Dutta (Pinjare Bashiya, translated as Inside the Cage,
Stree 1996) won the Sudha Basu Smarak Purashkar (Sudha Basu Memorial Award) 2000,
presented by the Bangla Akademy.
- Samya was presented the Award for Excellence in Book Production, 2002 by the Federation
of Indian Publishers, New Delhi.
- The Fractured Scales: The Search for a Uniform Personal Code by Faustina
Pereira won the Mustafizzur Rahman Khan and Saleha Khanam Gold Medal, 2004, awarded
by Asiatic Society of Bangladesh for best book on human rights and women, 2002-2004.
- Joothan (1997) by Sharan Kumar Limbale, translated into English by Arun
Prabha Mukherjee as Joothan: A Dalit’s Life (Samya, 2003), won
The New India Foundation Best Book Award (Infosys) 2004, for 'the finest book published
in India during 2002-2003'.
- Bani Basu's Birth of the Maitreya was shortlisted for the Vodafone (Hutch)
Crossword Book Awards, 2005.
- Review of Joothan (1997), translated into English by Arun Prabha
Mukherjee as Joothan: A Dalit’s Life (Samya, 2003) won the Top Quark award
in the 3 Quarks Daily 2011 Arts & Literature Contest.
- Sarmistha Dutta Gupta (Pather Ingit: Nirbachito Samvad-Samayikpatre Bangali
Meyer Samajbhavana 1927-67, translated as The Way ahead: Political Writings of Bengali
Women in Periodicals and a Newspaper, 1927-67 published by Stree in 2007) won
the Sudha Basu Smarak Purashkar (Sudha Basu Memorial Award) 2011 presented by the
Bangla Akademy. She has also written Identities and Histories: Women's
writings and Politics in Bengal published by Stree in 2010 and co-edited
The Stream Within published by Stree in 1999.